Saturday, June 28, 2014

First Day on the Town: Day One: La Sagrada and Parc Guell

As the conference was essentially over, the client offered a guided a tour to anyone who wanted to see some of the sights of Barcelona. Of course I signed up! See the sights with an experienced local? Yes, please.



We began at La Sagrada Familia (The Holy Family Cathedral), one of Antoni Gaudi's most famous works and a cathedral still under construction 130 or so years later. The conical spires, the statuary decorating the facade, and the distinctive Gaudi style of non-linear design are noticeable from a good distance.

A few people on the tour said when they were here four years ago a lot of the facade was covered with scaffolding. The progress of the place is really coming along and it is scheduled to be complete in 2026. Return trip to Barcelona?

The Cathedral has a real nature theme and this side not only depicts scenes from the birth of Christ but also incorporates a plant theme. It sort of look like things are dripping off the building and it's spectacular to take in.



Everywhere you look, there is something new to look at. It's stunning.

Every time I visit a Cathedral I can't help but be inspired. There is something about being in a hall dedicated to something that causes me to pause and consider it's purpose. Normal churches (at least back home), frankly, can be boring and uninspiring. Cathedrals on the other hand... just wow. Pictures never capture their grandeur but here are a few to gaze at.

Massive stained glass windows. The color gradient is meant to symbolize the earth, plants, and sky.


















     
The Altar is Austere and Impressive

Another Marc... this one is the Apostal.


One of the many things that makes the cathedral interesting is that from the outside it is decorated so impressively but on the inside it is modern, romanesque, and more traditional. I took more pictures but there's more to show you.

Parc Guell was our next stop. BTW: I love that in Catalan they use the C instead of the K. It validates my belief that the spelling of my name is the best way to spell it. Thanks mom and dad.

Parl Guell was meant to be a residential community designed by Gaudi but at the time he constructed it in the early 1900's, the rich wanted to live closer to Barcelona center so the project never took off. Today, this land would be scooped up quickly. The idea was to incorporate nature into the community and things are designed to look as it they are grottoes or naturally occurring curves. I didn't want to leave.

This is the house Gaudi lived in, tucked into some trees. He actually didn't design his own house but it I loved it's appearance a chapel poking through the foliage.


Keeping in mind that this is a park, he really spent time trying to give prospective residents the feeling they would be out doors on a cliff side. While obviously constructed, many of these features are made of stone and rock. So cool.



I didn't notice how disorienting this was until I looked at the photo.

This bench lines a large common gathering area for the community. Gaudi is famous for his tile work. I do't know if the pink flowers in the background are intentional but they blended quite well with the tiles.

Sweeping vistas of Barcelona. This is looking down at what was meant to be the gatehouse and real estate office.


Original environmentalist? It's said Gaudi would go through people's trash and take broken plates and cups and use them in his work. This is the ceiling under the common area. I love the plates and cups. The design is meant to be a starfish.


The grand staircase leading up to the common area. You can see the bench above the columns. Hearst Castle has nothing on this entryway.


The famous Gaudi lizard. I had other pictures but I loved this one. Holly has definitely trained me to notice architecture being used, not admired. This little boy was so happy to be playing in he water.

The day held more surprises but I have to check out of the hotel in about 10 minutes so I have to call it. I will end by saying I didn't know much about Gaudi before coming to Barcelona and now that I've had the chance to get out and see some of his stuff, I think he's a genius. (I'll grammar check this later)

No comments:

Post a Comment